thesis update


I proposed my thesis in April, and it was accepted without reservation! Presenting was SO stressful, but I did well and got a lot out of it, and I prepared really thoroughly so I know I'll be able to tackle my oral. PNCA got out for summer break recently, so I took a little breather from thinking about my thesis 24/7. I kept shooting, obviously.



I snagged a kickin' mentor at the very last minute, Wayne Bund! So excited to work with him. As you can see the images are still roughly the same. While I was shooting these I was using an 18-75mm (or something like it) that got me really nice wide shots, but I had to hold it up pretty high over the food, to the extent that sometimes I wasn't able to look in the viewfinder while taking the picture. I've since switched back to my 24mm macro lens, and I think I'll probably use that until I'm done shooting.




The text also got a little larger, and I switched from a 5x7" format to a 4x5". Not really sure why, except my print teacher last semester, Paul Mullowney, mentioned it to me when I was talking about my thesis proposal, and I sort of fell in love with it. Haven't justified it conceptually yet! I'm also still thinking about installation. These last pictures are how I hung it for my final critique; experimenting with thumbtacks a little bit. My friend Petra mentioned suspending them with fishing wire, and I'm getting interested in that idea, although I haven't tried it yet.




So yes! Still thinking about disclosure/exposure, but not sure how to work that into the final pieces. Still really happy with it formally! Just gotta nail down that installation and do a butt-ton of research.

-hannah

This entry was posted in ,. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

leave a note

Hannah O'Sullivan 2011. Powered by Blogger.