good eats: nicolas restaurant


One of the all-time best Portland spots. SE Grand and Stark-ish. I never eat Lebanese anywhere else because it's SO GOOD and SO AFFORABLE. With vegan options! And piping hot pita brought to your table when you sit down!


I always get a shawarma combo. For around $10 (what up Golden Corral), it gets you a fat plate of humus, a good little side-salad, and a BIG pita with your choice of meat and more salad wrapped up in it. I never finish the sandwich or the humus, so it's like two meals. TWO MEALS for $10, y'all. Can't beat it.


Every ex-pat Portlander that I know weeps when I mention Nicolas anywhere. Suckers! Why would you EVER move somewhere with no Nicolas! (as an aside, this is my current favorite pix of Evie)


We didn't get it (still sad), but the baklava is so amazing. Baklava in general makes me the happiest of campers. All of the best in the world: honey, phyllo dough, and nuts UM YES PLEASE AND THANK YOU. The turkish coffee is wonderful too, although I did manage to get it all over myself/my camera last time I was there, so consider yourself warned.


Nicolas is usually CRAZY busy on evenings at the weekend, so go a smidge early or on a weekday. We went at 6:30 or so on a Tuesday and there was no wait at all. I mean it's COMPLETELY worth the wait though - I've waited up to 30 minutes for a table, which is pretty beyond me considering how much fast food I eat. You can stare pitifully through the window at the fat steaming pita breads to whet your appetite!

-hannah

This entry was posted in ,,,. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

leave a note

Hannah O'Sullivan 2011. Powered by Blogger.